Splicing The Heater Lines
(Click any pic for a enlarged view)

The Landi Renzo CNG regulator is a 2 stage unit. In order to keep the regulator from freezing up, while reducing the CNG flow to a usable pressure, inlet and outlet ports are provided. These ports allow antifreeze, tapped from the heater lines, to warm the regulator.

Right out of the block I ran into a problem. The branch line, on the "Y" tee, was 1/2" and the supplied hose was 3/8". So an adapter was going to have to be made.

Here I am cutting a piece of 1/2" copper water line. This will match the branch line diameter.

The copper transitional piece is chucked in the lathe and each end is cleaned up.

I picked this brass fitting up at the hardware store. It has a sweet 3/8" barb on one side which fits the 3/8" hose perfectly.

I chucked it in the lathe and cut the threaded end down to fit the inside diameter of the copper transitional piece.

Here the pieces are fitted, prepped for soldering and soldered.

A piece of 1/2" hose is fitted to the tee and is ready for the adapter.

The adapter is complete and assembled on the branch "Y" tee. A perfect solution to an encountered problem.

Here both of the finished adapters are shown.

This is a nice trick for installing the "Y" tee. Using a pair of needle nosed vice grips clamp the heater line above the below the proposed splice.

Then use cutters that provide a clean straight cut. These are tree pruners, believe it or not they provide a perfect cut.

Don't forget to place a rag under the hose. The hose is cut and a little antifreeze is caught in the rag.

Unfortunately it required 10 gear clamps to do the deed. It looks like a mess. I should of used a different clamping system. What was I thinking.

I found that the inlet and outlet lines needed to travel all the way across to the other side of the engine compartment. This is the making of a rubber insulator.

Every place the hoses were exposed to ware damage, a rubber insulator was added, to protect the hoses.

Finally we arrive at the regulator. A couple of zip ties make for a neat job.

I clamped the lower hose first and then poured antifreeze into the top hose until all the air was purged out. The upper hose was then clamped.