Ownership over the years (pg. 2)
January 24. 1838 (Deed Book 166: 444): John and Margaret Summerhill of Plum Township relinquished their interest in the 100-acre tract formerly owned by William Stewart to Uzziah Stewart for $80.
June 8. 1838 (Deed Book 166: 442): Alexander and Catherine Stewart of Franklin Township, Portage County, Ohio conveyed their 1/8 interest in the 100-acre tract formerly owned by William Stewart to Uzziah Stewart of Allegheny County for $100.
The above deeds dated between 1827 and 1838 conveyed six of the eight equal shares in the 100-acre property to Uzziah Stewart. Stewart owned an additional 1/8 interest that he had inherited, giving a documented total of 7/8 interest in the property. Allegheny County records contain no records of Uzziah Stewart's purchase of the remaining 1/8 interest that would have given him full title to the property. It is likely that Stewart purchased the remaining 1/8 interest with a deed that was never recorded.
Uzziah Stewart died between February 18 and June 4, 1852. In his will (Allegheny County Will Book 7: 303) he left all of his real and personal property to his wife, Jane E. Stewart, during her lifetime, provided that she did not remarry. Stewart directed that upon his wife's death or remarriage, he left $200 to each of his two youngest children, Jane E. Stewart Jr. and Uzziah Stewart Jr., after which the balance of his property was to be equally divided among each of his children, Joseph C. Stewart, William F. Stewart, Jane E. Stewart Jr. and Uzziah Stewart Jr.
Jane E. Stewart died in September 1863.
After the death of Jane E. Stewart, Margaret V. Bright acquired William F. Stewart's interest in the tract on which 131 School Road stood at sheriffs sale. In June 1865 Margaret V. Bright petitioned the Orphan's Court of Allegheny County requesting a partition of the property. On September 23, 1865 the Orphan's Court determined that the property could not be divided without prejudice to or spoiling of the whole. On December 2, 1865, the interested parties and heirs were called in open court and failed to answer or to elect to take the property at the valuation thereof. The Orphan's Court therefore decreed that the property should be sold. The court sold the property to Peter Hutchinson for $2900 on January 13, 1866. The court again exposed the property to sale on October 23, 1866 and sold the property to Peter Hutchinson for $3300. The Stewart heirs had already indicated their intent to pay a much larger amount for the property. On December 17, 1867, Joseph C. Stewart, Jane E. Stewart, and Uzziah Stewart Jr. purchased the property for $7800, paying $500 down, but were unable to pay the balance of the purchase money as required by the terms of sale "even after several weeks indulgence was given them to do so". On February 18, 1868, the Orphan's Court asked the Stewart heirs to show cause why they could not comply with the terms and pay the balance. The court again exposed the property to public sale on March 28, 1868, and sold the property to Thomas Ewing, who complied with the terms of the sale.